Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

hello - please answer fishing question about art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello - please answer fishing question about art

Hello,

My name is Keith Springer and I am an amateur art collector and curator of marine oil paintings. I would be most appreciative if anyone would be prepared to help me by giving their opinion about a painting, to do with fishing, by voting here online.

My question is explained below. I have posted the painting for you to see, just go to this web address to see it:

http://home.fuse.net/keith.s/Boat.html

Here is my question.

It is the painting at the far left in question, the big bottom left panel that says "what are these men doing". The painting is from the year 1885, of a river in France near the city of Rouen. It is an authentic impressionist painting made back then, and so the artist has painted a real river boating scene realistically in front of him, with broad brush strokes.

Two of us curators have two different opinions (me and a person in France) about, in the painting, what the two men are doing.

One of us thinks that the men are fishing. As evidence for that idea, the top left panel is created and altered today with an added fishing rod and an added fish in the mens' hands, to show how their bodies conform to that idea. In addition, all the little pictures on the right are by the same artist, different paintings of his over several years, and at far right we see that indeed the artist often painted two men fishing in a boat.

But, in the large painting at bottom left labeled "what are these two men doing", one of us thinks that the two men are not fishing, and instead are just returning from a paddling trip in a boat, the one on the left paddling in.

What is your opinion about what those two men are doing?

Please tell me your vote:

OPTION A: PROBABLY FISHING OR LIKELY FISHING.

OPTION B: UNCERTAIN WHAT THEY ARE DOING, ANY GUESS WOULD BE ONLY A GUESS.

OPTION C: NOT FISHING OR PROBABLY NOT FISHING.

Many thanks for considering my request.

Keith Springer

Hello Keith and welcome to the site.
    My vote would have to be, Option A 100%
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="#2e8b57"][COLOR="lime"][SIZE="4"]Maver-Rich[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

NEW PB 108lb 2oz, 26/08/2012 Wyatt?s pool, Cobhouse Fishery
    106lb 4oz, 17/08/2011 Laugherne Island pool, Cobhouse Fishery

Comment

B- hard to tell what they are doing .

Comment

illegal net fishing me thinks ?
        nige cooke

Comment

My guess would be fishing with a net.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

travel.mongabay.com/laos/600/laos_2238.jpg

Cast net fishing
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Guinness is good for you.

Comment

I tend to agree with the last three posters

any kind of fishing rod surely would have been highlighted by the artist

the person on the left would be holding one end of the net the person on the right would be gathering the net
              the same style of fishing is evident in some of the pictures on the right
              [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

If the picture depicts 1885 then if they were using a rod and line, it would most certainly been made out of cane and be quite visible by comparison with todays gear, so tend to go with the opinion that they are fishing some sort of net or possibly a long line.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

I'm with Brian I think their probably hand lining.
                  I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                  He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

If you look at the man on thre right standing up there is a slight what looks like to be a line of some sort in his hand curving to the left which i think is a net line that he is pulling in.

Comment

Working...
                    X