Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

match fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• match fishing

Hi anyone please can you help me I have been fishing for 10 years with my hubby and I have just decided to have a go at match fishing with the angling club I have just joined they have told me that to date no women have fished on their matches so I want to have a go. I went to a weigh in on Sunday and a lot of them blanked on the lake used for the match but there were also a few weights of over 25lb please will someone give me some useful hints or tips for my first match and as I will also be fishing against my hubby i would like some secrets that he won,t know about ha ha.

Give us a clue to the venue, where is it we may have some one who has fished it, how big is it what sort of depths, what species are stocked, are there any bait bans, we can then maybe start to help you a little, but the first tip must be fish to your strengths thats the one you will be most comfortable with, second tip is keep it simple dont try fishing too many different lines as you may just end up splitting the fish all over the peg and end up catching little.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

match fishing

Hey Brian thanks for a smart reply this is a lake at the Holiday Inn in Hambrook bristol it is a private lake owned by the cross hands angling club i think it has about 25 pegs and gound bait is not allowed I have only used one rod when fishing and have caught some nice commons of about 3/4lb but have been snapped up by bigger fish should I also try setting up a pole as well ?

Comment

Ok we have established that there is a head of carp although probably not on the scale of a commercial water, if pellet is allowed I would look to base a feeding pattern using them, I would say yes to the pole as that will give you better presentation, and by fitting a clip on pot to the end of the pole will allow you to feed accurately, look to fish around 6 to 8 metres out at this time of the year and start by cupping a good couple of handfulls of pellet at the same time look at the margins and any features it may have in the form of reeds or overhanging bushes and again cup in some pellets, on the initial cupping in it would be usefull to add a few pieces of corn or luncheon meat, start fishing on th 6-8 metre line using a soft hooker pellet but dont be afraid to try corn or meat, whilst you are fishing out keep on feeding the margins every 15 mins or so but leave that line for a couple of hours to let the fish settle, if pellets are not allowed I would look to feed hemp and caster two baits that lots of fish like again you can add a few samples of corn or meat, without knowing the size of the bigger fish it is difficult to say what size of hook, line or elastic you will need but a good start would be a 18 or 16 hook to 0.14 line and a 10 elastic, remember to feed to the bites and refed a small amount after each fish, hope that gives you a little to go on let us know how you get on and then we may be able to add a little more to it

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bluesummerlady
          Hey Brian thanks for a smart reply this is a lake at the Holiday Inn in Hambrook bristol it is a private lake owned by the cross hands angling club i think it has about 25 pegs and gound bait is not allowed I have only used one rod when fishing and have caught some nice commons of about 3/4lb but have been snapped up by bigger fish should I also try setting up a pole as well ?
          It may seem obvious, but if you keep getting 'snapped up' use a stronger line.

Comment

thanks Brian and Royst for your advice I will try a few practice runs over the next few weeks as the match isn't till August will let you know how things are going

Comment

sorry i didn't get back ..... husband became ill and passed away Dec 07 , hope to take up fishng again this year on my own ... might need some help along the way

Comment

Welcome back Bluesummerlady
                I'm sure all members of TA will join me in offering our condolences.
                Last edited by runningline bob; 23 January 2011, 05:40 PM.
                [COLOR="green"][URL="http://therunningline.blogspot.com/"]The Running Line Blog[/URL][/COLOR][COLOR="red"]NO POLE ZONE[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by bluesummerlady View Post
                  sorry i didn't get back ..... husband became ill and passed away Dec 07 , hope to take up fishng again this year on my own ... might need some help along the way
                  Verry sorry for your bad news,but yes carry on with the fishing,and all the members on here will do thier best to help with any info they can,ask away but if you can try to be specific its much easier to reply to,the members on here are top notch and will do thier utmost to help. get in there and kick some butt.
                  Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

take it up again,theres no one on this forum who wont try to help you,theres a fair few down your neck of the woods,just ask the questions and we will try and help.
                    OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

welcome back,very sorry to hear of your loss. as you probably know theres a great set of lads and lassies on here all ready to answer any questions,
                      brookside anglers EX- superstar

Comment

wheres your first match at?

Comment

try and do a few practice sesions first that will tell you the size of the fish in there
                          i would try a diffrent bait every time you go as 1 bait might outscore another once you have found your bait feed little &
                          often unless it is stuffed with fish & you can feed heavely from the start & don`t ignore shallow as some days you can bag up
                          cheers fil

Comment

Working...
                          X