Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

get back to fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get back to fishing

Hello
    My name is Lee and i have not been fishing since i was a kid of about 10. I now mostly watch fishing on the tv. So i would love to get back into fishing and i would like to know what woluld be the best and cheapest set up i can go out and buy. Maybe a beginners set just to get me started again.

Thanks

Lee

Welcome on board Lee.

Comment

Hi Lee,

Having just started again myself I would say it very much depends on your budget, if you have £1000's then get a decent pole, float rod and reel, feeder rod and all the luggage that comes with it. If however you live in the normal world like me and many others you don't need a pole to start fishing, a decent float rod suitable for whatever type of fishing you want to do and a reel with line can easily be purchased from your local tackle shop for £50 or even better second hand from Ebay or some of the bigger tackle shops. The problem I have with tackle shops is that it is all sooo shiny when you go in there and the temptation to buy is just so irresistible. As long as you stick with the know brands, Maver, Daiwa, Korum, Shimano etc you won't go far wrong and even though they are sales men most of the people in the tackle shop will sort you out so you keep coming back. My Shimano Alvio 13ft float rod cost £39.99 with a free match reel from Bobco before Xmas, it's nothing fancy but does the job. I had a pole from my previous fishing forays so didn't need to go to that expense. I'm now in the market for a feeder rod and have seen some good deals on the Korum range in the AT this week around £40 so might be tempted if Bobco can't fix me up.
      I think when your just starting out try and avoid spending a fortune on anything but like any other purchase you get what you pay for so stick with the known and recommended brands at least then you will get a decent p/x or second hand price when you come to trade up later on. I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will be along soon to give the right answer but for my 2 cents I would say if you have a local tackle shop, go there tell them your new to fishing and getting started with a budget of say £100 and see what they can do. This should get you a landing net, handle, rod, reel, some line, hooks, disgorger, floats, shot and something to sit on and carry it all in. If the bug bites, beware you will always be poor and trying to sneak stuff into the garage without SWMBO seeing

Comment

Welcome to the site mate. Have a look on facebook mate theres a few pages selling fishing tackle on there new and used can pick up some descent tackle cheap. But best information is enjoy it .
        I aint that good but i'll always catch em

Comment

My advice would be to stop watching staged & setup crap on Telly, throw the advertisements ( angling mags ) in the bin, and get out fishing with someone that has a bit of spare gear. You'll soon see what you need and what you don't.

The tv and mags would have you believe you need a different rod for everyday of the year !
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by martinleeds View Post
            Hi Lee,

Having just started again myself I would say it very much depends on your budget, if you have £1000's then get a decent pole, float rod and reel, feeder rod and all the luggage that comes with it. If however you live in the normal world like me and many others you don't need a pole to start fishing, a decent float rod suitable for whatever type of fishing you want to do and a reel with line can easily be purchased from your local tackle shop for £50 or even better second hand from Ebay or some of the bigger tackle shops. The problem I have with tackle shops is that it is all sooo shiny when you go in there and the temptation to buy is just so irresistible. As long as you stick with the know brands, Maver, Daiwa, Korum, Shimano etc you won't go far wrong and even though they are sales men most of the people in the tackle shop will sort you out so you keep coming back. My Shimano Alvio 13ft float rod cost £39.99 with a free match reel from Bobco before Xmas, it's nothing fancy but does the job. I had a pole from my previous fishing forays so didn't need to go to that expense. I'm now in the market for a feeder rod and have seen some good deals on the Korum range in the AT this week around £40 so might be tempted if Bobco can't fix me up.
            I think when your just starting out try and avoid spending a fortune on anything but like any other purchase you get what you pay for so stick with the known and recommended brands at least then you will get a decent p/x or second hand price when you come to trade up later on. I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will be along soon to give the right answer but for my 2 cents I would say if you have a local tackle shop, go there tell them your new to fishing and getting started with a budget of say £100 and see what they can do. This should get you a landing net, handle, rod, reel, some line, hooks, disgorger, floats, shot and something to sit on and carry it all in. If the bug bites, beware you will always be poor and trying to sneak stuff into the garage without SWMBO seeing
            Very good advice! And true,especially the last bit! Lol!
            Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
            Alwight tweacle?

Comment

cheers all

nice advice from all especially martinleeds

Comment

Hi Lee,
                I don't know if you got sorted out but I have been having a think. I have in my garage all my Dad's fishing tackle, it isn't great but there is a carbon float rod, Shakespeare Team seat box with Octoplus, Badger pole seat box, rod bag, polemaster margin pole 9.5m, 2.25lb TC Carp Rod, wooden tackle box full of stuff, a few bank sticks all sorts really. He passed away about 4 years ago and I haven't had the heart to get rid of it but I'm sure he would be OK with me passing it on to a re-born angler to get started again. So if your interested drop me a PM, there's no charge for the gear just pick it up and enjoy. And if you would rather go and buy new that's not a problem either, tight lines.

Comment

what a great gesture,top man...
                  OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

Originally posted by martinleeds View Post
                    Hi Lee,
                    I don't know if you got sorted out but I have been having a think. I have in my garage all my Dad's fishing tackle, it isn't great but there is a carbon float rod, Shakespeare Team seat box with Octoplus, Badger pole seat box, rod bag, polemaster margin pole 9.5m, 2.25lb TC Carp Rod, wooden tackle box full of stuff, a few bank sticks all sorts really. He passed away about 4 years ago and I haven't had the heart to get rid of it but I'm sure he would be OK with me passing it on to a re-born angler to get started again. So if your interested drop me a PM, there's no charge for the gear just pick it up and enjoy. And if you would rather go and buy new that's not a problem either, tight lines.
                    Fantastic Martin. What a great gesture. Hats off to you mate.

Comment

Welcome on board fella
                      [url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/RL-Pole-Floats/188786494654295?ref=tn_tnmn[/url]

Comment

Working...
                      X