Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hello from a Brit in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a Brit in Germany

Hi all,
    My name is Steve (Doc) Holliday and I settled down to live in Germany in 2001 after 24 years in the RAF. Until 1998 I was a member of the RAF Team. In 2000, whilst I was at RAF Bruggen in Germany, I changed from match to Carp fishing, but now that my carping 'partner' has packed in to see more of his grankids, I'm going back to my roots at the ripe old age of 51 - match fishing.

I grew up on the Bonny Hale stretch of the Stainforth & Keadby canal between 1970 and 77 (I lived in Keadby), waggler fishing was the way back then. During my RAF days, I did most of my fishing in the East and West Mildlands. Whilst based in Germany, most of my fishing was in Holland. I won many RAF matches and several opens in the UK, Holland, Germany and Denmark. I also managed 4 Div 1 Nationals with the RAF Team, coming 2nd in my section on the Witham.

Now I am buying new match gear and soon I'll be out clearing away the cobwebs. Biggest item on the list is of course the pole, and there are so many to choose from. Ín the UK, commercial fisheries have taken over (not my cup of tea, I prefer a canal, drain or river - I could stick some fish in my bath and fish for them as well - it's about the same) and most poles seem to be made for bungie jumping. I'm after a stiff light 13m pole (the limit in Dutch matches) for silvers only (up to 10/12 elastic Max. for the powerful rivers). I also need top 5's due to the depth of some canals and lakes over here.

Front runner at the moment is the Shimano Super Ultegra AX 13m. I had the old 14m SU from 1995-2000 and it was a great piece of kit. I hope that the new one is just as good. On my next trip to the UK I'll call into Fosters of Birmingham and give one a waggle. If anyone has got one, it would be nice to know how she handles at 13 metres.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bank, and staying awake - not going to sleep and being woken by a buzzer going off. I must admit that I did enjoy the banter and friendship at 4 world carp Classics - even though I never saw a Carp. I also managed a PB Mirror of 38lb 12oz, a Common of 36lb 4oz and a 71lb Catfish.

I hope to return to the UK next year and fish with some of my old RAF mates, maybe in the RAF v RAF Old Lags match or the RAF Champs. I will certainly spend a week fishing some of my old favourites: The Nene and old Nene, Witham, Grand Union, Shroppie, and Trent to name but a few.

Tight lines everyone, and watch this space for a report on my first session as a re-born matchman.

Cheers,
    Doc

PS. No matter what kind of venue you fish, natural or artificial, enjoy.
    Baggin' in Holland on rivers and canals - not a Carp in sight!

Steven 'Doc' Holliday

Theres a member on here, Dunno, i think who sells a lot of Maver poles, with a lot of the packages coming with top 4 and 5 kits - give him a shout, he may be able to sort you out!

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/members/dunno.html

Scott
    [URL="http://scottsfishingblog.blogspot.com/"]http://scottsfishingblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
    [url]http://www.oldghostbait.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.oldghostbait.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

Hi Doc try sending a message to Gaz, Tacklefinder he's ex army and sells some quality 2nd hand stuff and has a shop in Germany.

Comment

if ur in germany and staying i would seriously look at sensas poles they are certainly available nice and easy! things like maver well hard to get bits in germany ..colmic maybe another option for germany! WHere are u at in germany will u be fishing matches they are mostly team events check out champion-teams.de for who where and wot! ? Most if not all UK poles kits are not suitable for fishing germany..Kits to short and all power!!!!!
        I never fish with the ultegra at 13 just held it ! TBH i had it next to the fireblood and put it down ... Quit tippy mind u did think long about buying one so i must of been impressed at the time....kit or spares pack isnt all that in germany as well as gettin bits if they snap or u stand on them......... I went sensas loads more bang for ur buck really!

\i just saw u live near to holland! Might be ur best bet for POLES..cheaper in germany just not fished as much unlike holland! hey again though maver aint easy to get there either always changing reps so its very hit and mis! Holland will be sensas,preston and verpa which are FAPS poles........ Shimano big there but parts are a long wait if they come!
        Last edited by andrew65; 6 July 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Andrew is right.
          The sensas 774 is a stunning pole at the length you want. I had one for years but at very long lengths needed over here there are better options.
          I'd get another in heartbeat if pole limits came in over here.
          On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Welcome to the site Steve, reading your post takes me back to my RAF days big time.I left Bruggen Nov 93 and the RAF in 94Did 3 tours at Bruggen but only fished the last 2, 79-82 and 90-93. Terrific venues, the Lateraal Kanal, Merum, Afferden, in Germany the Ruhr at Kettwig, even Hariksee.Others also that escape my fading memory lol.We used 2 main shops there, Danny's in Roermond and also Jurgen Reideggers who had a shop in a village near Niederkruchten and then opened one up in Roermond. In the meantime I was at Finningley and Wittering and did the whole leagues, Command and RAF level. They were great days.As for a pole its a buyers market there are loads of good ones available. I've only been back into coarse/match fishing this last year myself and thoroughly enjoying it. Good luck to you in your new match career

Comment

Guys,
              Thanks for the welcome and all the good advice. I think I'll take a look at the Sensas 774 poles - might be the best choice at 13m.I need a light stiff pole that will set the hook quickly and is easy to use all day at 13m. Top 5 kits are a must. I think 3 top 5's and 3 top 4's will suffice.

George,
              We fished together from 90-93, I was at Laarbruch. Loved the Maas at Afferden, Merum, etc. Lateraal Canal was harder but closer for the Bruggen guys. Look in my photo album to see the Laarbruch guys of 1991 - I'm 4th from the left. The Ruhr at Kettwig was awesome. I loved going to Denmark for the NATO Champs. I also fished for a dutch team for 4 years and travelled all over Holland fishing Team and Pairs matches - wasn't too keen on the prizes though - mostly food and tackle. Jürgen sold his shop in Wegberg moved to North Germany near the Danish border years ago. Now there is a good shop in Roermond where you can get all you need, although I will buy most of my tackle online from Fosters of Birmingham - much cheaper.

Andrew,
              Yes, I am staying in Germany and will be match fishing. Didn't think about matches in Germany, thought I'd stick to Holland. I'll check out the site you mentioned. In my experience the German anglers were not that good, but the standard in Holland is much higher. It didn't seem fair taking their money. Mind you, in the last 14 years things may have changed. I am near Mönchengladbach. I am very interested in team fishing and as I speak fluent German, so a German team would be good.

Thanks for the input guys,
              Cheers,
              Doc

Steven 'Doc' Holliday

Comment

Pm sent. The fisjhing in Germany is first class. Giant Roach, bream and barbel on the pole on the River Main in 2007 was good enough for me.

Comment

Hi doc nice to see you are ok, I have turned to puddles myself as the rivers etc over here are not a patch on the dutch rivers. May be see you at the next raf champs. Cheers Steve.
                  Steve Davies

Comment

Originally posted by D N W View Post
                    Hi doc nice to see you are ok, I have turned to puddles myself as the rivers etc over here are not a patch on the dutch rivers. May be see you at the next raf champs. Cheers Steve.
                    Hi Steve,
                    Good to hear from you, long time since we fished together. I'm planning on being at the RAF Champs next year - I hope it's not on a puddle. I've sent a message to Phil Foster, so I'm hoping he will contact me soon. I'd like to go to the RAF v Old Lags too.

I'm looking forward to my first 100lb of Bream from the Maas on the feeder, and 50lb of Roach from the Ruhr at Kettwig on the waggler. I hope the fishing is as good as it was back in the late 90's. I'll post some pics when I've done it!

Cheers,
                    Doc

Steven 'Doc' Holliday

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                      Hi Steve,
                      Good to hear from you, long time since we fished together. I'm planning on being at the RAF Champs next year - I hope it's not on a puddle. I've sent a message to Phil Foster, so I'm hoping he will contact me soon. I'd like to go to the RAF v Old Lags too.

I'm looking forward to my first 100lb of Bream from the Maas on the feeder, and 50lb of Roach from the Ruhr at Kettwig on the waggler. I hope the fishing is as good as it was back in the late 90's. I'll post some pics when I've done it!

Cheers,
                      Doc
                      The old lags match will be on the Tidal River Trent at Torksey Lock in aug this year and is normally on a natural venue, the raf champs have been on puddles for the last few years. Funnily enough my match records are 265lb of bream from a lake near zwolle and 265lb at tunnel barn in last years raf champs i enjoyed both days.
                      Steve Davies

Comment

Originally posted by D N W View Post
                        The old lags match will be on the Tidal River Trent at Torksey Lock in aug this year and is normally on a natural venue, the raf champs have been on puddles for the last few years. Funnily enough my match records are 265lb of bream from a lake near zwolle and 265lb at tunnel barn in last years raf champs i enjoyed both days.
                        Unfortunately, this year is out for me. 4 weeks ago, a car driver, overtaking on a blind bend hit me when I was on my bike - broke my left leg badly, only 10 weeks until I can walk again :-(.
                        Lots of time left on the couch. >The bike is going and it'll be fishing and golf only from now on!

I will be there next year though. It'll give me time to get back into bagging mode.

Steven 'Doc' Holliday

Comment

You won't need to be in bagging mode on the rivers over hear, drawing mode is the key to a good day. Reading a few of the posts have taken me back a few years to when i used to use a lot of groundbait and the rod and line was the first thing out of the bag. See you next year mate.
                          Steve Davies

Comment

If ur going for holland obviously depending on the venue i rekon ud nead at least 5 top 5s..Loads of dutch matches are mixed methods ....Not to many float only, in germany however loads of float only but most are team matches..When u add post to uk prices it certainly isnt cheaper if i was u i would keep german ebay in mind ...,some real bargins come on there!!
                            Nice one i m fluent in german and me dutch is even beter!!

Comment

this is the place to be for dutch opens!!! www.matchfishing.nl

Comment

Working...
                              X